Taking your dirt bike to the repair shop every time something is broken will leave you broke soon.
You would have to pay for the smallest of procedures that you could have done yourself.
The only reason you find yourself reluctant in buying those tools is wondering that getting those professional tools will cost you a fortune.
Well, let us break it to you that routine checkups and maintenance from a workshop will cost you more.
Therefore, if you want to keep the procedure cost-effective then you must get those tools as soon as possible.
You can achieve the same level of professional-maintenance through proper tools and few guidelines.
Remember that for the consistent performance of your bike, you must do a routine check and fix every loosened bolt or change it if it requires.
Out of all those instruments in a tool kit, a torque wrench is something you can’t overlook.
It is mainly almost everything you need to heal your bike. Here we have put together some useful data to guide you about which wrench is a better choice.
Let’s get into it.
- Things You Must Consider Before Purchasing
- Best Torque Wrench For Dirt Bikes For The Money
- TEKTON 1/2″ Drive Click Torque Wrench
- EPAuto 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench
- Craftsman 3/8-in. Dr. Digi-click Torque Wrench
- Precision Instruments Silver 1/2″ Drive Split Beam Torque Wrench With Flex Head
- eTORK Click-Style Torque Wrench
- Summit Tools 3/8 inch Digital Torque Wrench
- ACDelco ARM601-3 3/8″ Digital Torque Wrench
Things You Must Consider Before Purchasing
“How hard can it be to buy a wrench?” it is something that crosses everyone’s mind.
Well, honestly it is trickier than you think.
There are so many elements that you have no knowledge of but you must consider them before you can get yourself the best torque wrench for your dirt bikes.
For instance, in terms of designs, every brand offers a range of features.
How would you decide without knowing everything?
That is why we are here to help you.
All the important elements are critically related to torque wrenches that you must consider before purchasing are mentioned below.
Two Are Always Better
Purchasing a single wrench that deals with a specific range of nuts and bolts will not be able to get its pincers on all of the bolts.
For instance, the bolts on the engine area require a lower range of force while the bolts on the wheel area need a wrench that covers a bigger area.
If you try to use the same instrument on every bolt then they will break off immediately.
Therefore, if you can afford then it is always better to get more than one to address both the lower and higher ranges of torques.
An Affordable Choice
Getting more than one tool is not an affordable choice. So, what to do when you have a limited budget?
The answer is simple.
The majority of nuts and bolts on a dirt bike are the ones that do not require much force to turn.
In other words, the wrench with 2 to 25 Nm force can handle the most work you might face during the maintenance.
But still, it is a risky gamble and you’d have to pay visits to a workshop if something got broken off using the same wrench everywhere.
Mechanical vs The Digital Wrenches
When it comes to purchasing the tool, the most common dilemma you might find yourself in is which one to buy: machinal one or the digital one.
Let’s shed some light upon their pros and cons one by one.
If we talk about the accuracy of automotive work then both are equally suitable.
The accuracy usually depends on user input. To some extent, the digital wrenches are proving better because of additional features such as indicators.
When it comes to scaling settings, the mechanical wrenches have a simple conventional scale which you can set manually.
On the other hand, the digital ones have revolutionary features in this area. The scale is set through a digital display that detects the required torque itself.
How impressive is that?
Moreover, in terms of reliability, machinal wrenches win over the digital ones.
The reason is its simplicity. They will serve you for a long time.
But with the modern wrenches, you get access to many of the latest features including indicators, digital display, vibration settings, and other sensors.
But one thing goes without saying, the more features the wrench provides the more costly it is. So, mechanical ones are better in terms of affordability.
With all this data, now, you’d be able to make a fully informed decision.
Availability of a Backlit Display
If you have chosen to go with the digital wrench then make sure that it has a backlit feature.
Handling a torch along with any other tool would be too troublesome.
To save yourself from ramming your tool in the wrong place you must have a well-lit working place.
Therefore, in the case of working in a dim garage, at nighttime, or in a blackout, an illuminating wrench will surely come in handy.
Diversity in Torque Units
There are various measuring units used different brands all around the globe.
It is imperative that the units match otherwise, it would all be pointless.
Moreover, it is always better to go for an instrument that has more than one unit setting.
So, you wouldn’t worry about changing your tool kit along with your dirt bike.
The digital wrenches have a greater number of units, so they are simply a better choice in this case.
Best Torque Wrench For Dirt Bikes For The Money
To make purchasing easier, we have filtered out the best torque wrenches for your motorcycle maintenance and created a list.
Let’s get into the products one by one.
TEKTON 1/2″ Drive Click Torque Wrench
This torque wrench is one of the best options to take with you on your car, truck, and dirt bike errands.
It can be stored easily and will let you tighten nuts to perfection. It has a calibration of +/- 4 accuracy which ensures that there are no poorly secured parts left.
Overtightened bolts are a common problem faced by all.
It can become history if you own this instrument as it makes a click sound when you have reached your torque specification.
It simply means that the device will let you know when to stop putting a strain on the part.
It gives dual scale ranges in Newton meters and feet pounds.
As these units fit most of the specifications on dirt bikes so, you wouldn’t have any problem in measuring torque.
Here are a few product specifications that you might want to look into:
- Range – Nm: 13.6-203.5 Nm
- Range – ft.-lb.: 10-150 ft.-lb.
- Accuracy: ± 4 percent
- Ratchet: 24 toothed
- Increment: 1 ft.-lb. (1.36 Nm)
- Length: 18-3/8 inch
- There is no plastic in the construction, so the parts will less likely ever break.
- A dual scale lets you deal with a wide range of vehicles.
- The notification click is quite necessary while doing such work.
- It let you close the bolts and nuts very accurately.
- It might have some alignment issues.
- It may not work well against heavy strain.
EPAuto 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench
If the tool isn’t strong enough to hold up against simple dirt bike bolts then assume your money to be in the drain.
However, EPAuto clock torque wrench is made from the sturdiest material out there — Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy.
So, no matter how much required torque is, this wrench will not fail you.
Every part of a dirt bike should hold up against the uneven terrain good because a little compromised bolt can create a chain reaction of failures during your adventure.
So, EPAuto gives the calibration of +/- 4 accuracy ensuring that you accurately deal with the bolt without leaving it broken or loose.
Normally you would have to guess when the preset torque value is reached.
But with this tool, you would hear a click sound when the torque is applied perfectly.
- Torque range ft./lb (1/2): 10~150 ft./lb and 25-250 ft.-lb.
- Torque range ft./lb (3/8): 10-80 ft.-lb.
- Torque range Nm (1/2): 13.6~203.5 N/m and 33.9-338.9 Nm
- Torque range Nm (3/8): 13.6-108.5 Nm
- Accuracy: ± 4 percent
- The click sound notifies you when the torque specification has reached.
- The material is sturdy enough to last long.
- It provides a good range of torque in both ft./lb. and Nm.
- With good accuracy, you become confident in dealing with parts.
- Sometimes the device may not click due to technical reasons.
- It may misguide you in terms of applying torque.
Craftsman 3/8-in. Dr. Digi-click Torque Wrench
No matter what type of bolt you are against, whether it is crankshaft bolts, engine mountings, cylinder heads, or even lugs, Craftsman wrench can easily deal with them all.
It provides readings in ft./lb., Nm and in/Ib. and all are interconvertible due to its digital mechanism.
You can switch the scale within a fraction of seconds and get the torque specification you want.
Moreover, it has a backlit feature which allows you to view the area of concern even in dim-light situations.
Imagine how hard would it be to tighten a screw when there is little to no light around. With this wrench, you wouldn’t need an external light source.
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Power source: 3 LR44 batteries
- Torque range ft.lb (3/8): 5 to 80 ft.lb
- Interconvertible units scale system (ft.lb, in/Ib., Nm)
- With the backlit feature, you can work in dark situations.
- Fast interconvertible units help you deal with varying torque specifications.
- It is easy to use and easy to keep.
- The digital system indicates when the preset torque is applied.
- It may not last as long as other mechanical wrenches.
- It breaks easily.
Precision Instruments Silver 1/2″ Drive Split Beam Torque Wrench With Flex Head
This wrench is designed to get rid of any micrometer-style problem.
It can be used for dirt bike assembly accurately but it may not be as accurate as other mechanical wrenches.
This wrench has a nickel/chrome construct which makes it durable.
It can even survive in the harsh environment and the use of mechanical workshops.
Therefore, it won’t be much trouble for it to handle the assembly of a dirt bike.
Sometimes when there are places where your regular mechanical wrenches can neither reach nor fix things there. Here the drive split beam torque wrench comes in.
With its convenient grip and long enough and slender construction it can reach places where standard wrenches can’t get into.
Moreover, it has a torque lock that allows you to lock the force specifications and work it on repetitively.
- Weight: 4.5 pounds
- 4% accuracy clockwise
- Length: 22 1/8″
- Dimensions: 25.5 x 3 x 2.1 inches
- You don’t need to turn down this wrench after use.
- It has a long shape which can reach difficult places.
- It has an ergonomic grip.
- The torque lock settings are very convenient in repetitive work.
- It may not be as accurate as other mechanical wrenches.
- It lacks a calibration mechanism.
eTORK Click-Style Torque Wrench
This wrench offers groundbreaking accuracy.
In the industry of +/- 4 accurate calibrations, it offers us +/- 3.
Impressive isn’t it?
With such accuracy, you can say farewell to compromised bolts and unsecured parts.
It also has a click sound mechanism that connects with you when the preset torque is reached.
Constructed by hard alloy, it ensures long-lasting service. The usage of hard material doesn’t mean it is heavy.
eTORK wrench is lightweight and with slender design. So, you can carry it with yourself and there will not be any problem.
Well, if you are a regular dirt biker then you know during maintenance, it is normal for the torque settings to sometimes switch accidentally.
To avoid that, manufacturers have introduced torque lock settings to avoid these undesired changes.
- Accuracy: ± 3% (clockwise direction)
- Weight: 3.31 pounds
- Dimensions: 20.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 inches
- Torque range: 1/2″ Drive 50-250 ft/lbs.
- Hard alloy construction provides you with a strong tool.
- Its hard material makes it durable enough.
- It has a torque lock setting to avoid unwanted torque changes.
- It is lightweight and portable in comparison to other models.
- It provides more accuracy than other wrenches in the market.
- The handle doesn’t rotate smoothly.
- It doesn’t give definite indications.
Summit Tools 3/8 inch Digital Torque Wrench
The beauty of this digital torque wrench is that it does everything with precision.
This wrench gives us a phenomenal accuracy of ±3% which is rare to witness in the industry.
Furthermore, say goodbye to guessing and hunching as with this wrench you’d be able to hear when the torque specification has reached due to its audible beeper.
An LED also blinks when you have tightened the bolt to its limit.
It has an LED display which provides an interconvertible unit’s scale to fulfill the needs of most bolt specifications.
It gives us measurements in kg-cm, N-m, in-lb. and ft-lb.
This state-of-the-art instrument is not only perfect for the automotive industry but also in many space applications.
This explains how efficient this product is.
- Calibrated to +/- 3% accuracy and 0.01 ft-lb resolution.
- Both AA or Rechargeable batteries are compatible.
- Ratchet Driver enables both Clockwise and Counter Clockwise Operation.
- Real-Time Torque value readout on the display.
- Torque Display units in 4 units: kg-cm, N-m, in-lb. ft-lb.
- It works at high accuracy.
- The display can convert units instantly.
- stainless-steel construction ensures durability.
- It is convenient to use because of its audible feedback system.
- The length of the wrench is short.
ACDelco ARM601-3 3/8″ Digital Torque Wrench
What makes this tool worth buying is its accuracy and the feedback system.
It gives off sound notifications when you have tightened the nut or bolt enough.
These settings prevent any accidental over-tightening and breaking off of parts.
Moreover, it has a fair-resolution LCD to select the measurement scale.
It gives torque specifications in ft.-lb., Nm, in-lb. and kg-cm units.
Moreover, it works both in clockwise and counterclockwise directions giving you access to a wide range of motion.
This wrench operates on a relatively higher accuracy ±1.5% which applies 20% – 100% maximum torque.
Now, you’d be able to assemble your precious vehicle quite conveniently and with high precision.
- Weight: 1.25 pounds
- Dimensions: 1.5 x 1.5 x 12.2 inches
- Torque range: 4-99 ft.-lbs
- Torque units: ft.-lb., Nm, in-lb. and kg-cm
- ± 2% clockwise ± 3% Counterclockwise indicating values.
- Power source: 1 Lithium-ion battery required.
- It is pretty lightweight in comparison to other models.
- It works at high accuracy.
- It gives you a wide range of torque.
- It has a feedback system that notifies you when the preset torque is delivered.
- The battery holder is loose and there is a possibility that the battery jumps out.
- It lacks a mechanical stop which it requires.
For better care of your dirt bike find out the perfect dirt bike oil
Assembling your dirt bikes has never been simpler than it is now.
With such modern torque wrenches, you can fix everything in an instant.
The aforementioned products are one of the best torque wrenches for dirt bikes present out there in the market.
So, make your life not only easier but safer by securing all the loose parts of your vehicle.